Nominations for the 88th Academy Awards will be announced on Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:30: AM PST by Actor John Krasinski, Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs, and filmmakers Guillermo del Toro and Ang Lee. Watch live below.
The 88th Academy Awards ceremony, during which the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) will present its annual Academy Awards to honor the best films of 2014, on February 28, 2016 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California with Chris Rock as host. Read More...
- The Hurt Locker sets the record as the lowest grossing movie to win Best Movie in the Oscars
- Oliver! is the only G-rated film to win Best Picture (the last G-Rated film to date to be nominated for Best Picture is Toy Story 3)
- The “Red carpet” at the Kodak Theatre is about 500 feet long
- Kevin O'Connell, the Oscars' unluckiest nominee, holds the record for the most nominations, 20, and no wins.
- Until 2010, when Kathryn Bigelow won, no woman had ever won the Oscar for best director
- The only movie to ever completely sweep the show by winning every award it was nominated for was The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King at the 76th Academy Awards. It is tied for the most wins of all time with Ben-Hur and Titanic.
- In 1940, the Los Angeles Times printed an accurate list of the Academy winners. Many arrived at the ceremony already aware they’d won. Since then, there’s much more secrecy surrounding the results.
- Walt Disney was the most decorated person at any single Academy Award ceremony. In 1953, he took home trophies for best documentary feature, best documentary short subject, best cartoon short subject and best two-reel short subject.
|Nominees Luncheon||Monday, February 8, 2016|
|Final voting begins||Friday, February 12, 2016|
|Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards presentation||Saturday, February 13, 2016|
|Final voting ends||Tuesday, February 23, 2016|
|87th Annual Academy Awards presentation||Sunday, February 28, 2016|