|There Will Be Blood|
|8 Nominations / 2 Wins|
|Director||Paul Thomas Anderson|
|Writer||Paul Thomas Anderson|
|Starring||Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Ciarán Hinds|
|80th Academy Awards|
There Will Be Blood is a 2007 American drama film written, co-produced, and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. The film is loosely based on Upton Sinclair's 1927 novel "Oil!". It stars Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano.
- Best Actor — Daniel Day-Lewis
- Best Adapted Screenplay — Paul Thomas Anderson
- Best Art Direction — Jack Fisk, Jim Erickson
- Best Cinematography — Robert Elswit
- Best Director — Paul Thomas Anderson
- Best Film Editing — Dylan Tichenor
- Best Picture — JoAnne Sellar, Paul Thomas Anderson, Daniel Lupi
- Best Sound Editing — Christopher Scarabosio, Matthew Wood
The film follows the rise to power of Daniel Plainview - a charismatic and ruthless oil prospector, driven to succeed by his intense hatred of others and desperate need to see any and all competitors fail. When he learns of oil-rich land in California that can be bought cheaply, he moves his operation there and begins manipulating and exploiting the local landowners into selling him their property. Using his young adopted son H.W. to project the image of a caring family man, Plainview gains the cooperation of almost all the locals with lofty promises to build schools and cultivate the land to make their community flourish. Over time, Plainview's gradual accumulation of wealth and power causes his true self to surface, and he begins to slowly alienate himself from everyone in his life.